Last updated November 8, 2020
Information We Collect About You
We at the Biden-Harris Transition may obtain your personal information through three channels: (1) information you provide directly to us; (2) information we collect automatically when you use the Sites; and (3) information we obtain from other sources.
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we may collect information when you fill out a contact us form, apply for a job with the Administration, send us an email, sign up to receive updates, request information, submit survey responses, make a donation, share a story, submit content, or communicate with us via third-party social media sites or otherwise provide us information.
The types of information we collect may include your name, contact information (e.g., email, phone number, and address), and other contact or identifying information about yourself or others that you choose to provide or authorize us to collect, including resume information.
In addition, we may collect information as required by the Presidential Transition Act. For example, the Presidential Transition Act requires us to collect (and disclose) the name of donor, date, and amount of donation.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Sites
When you access or use our Sites, we automatically collect information about you, including:
Log Information: We log information about your use of the Sites, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address and the page you visited before navigating to our Site.
Device Information: We may collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Site, including the hardware model, operating system and version, device identifiers and mobile network information.
Transactional Information: If you make a donation, we may collect information about the transaction, such as donation amount and date and location of the transaction.
Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking
Technologies: The Sites use various technologies to collect information automatically. This may include your browser type and operating system, IP address and/or device ID, websites you visit before or after the Site, and information about your activities on our Sites, including information that we collect using cookies and other tracking technologies. For more information about cookies and other tracking technologies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine it with information that you provide and that we collect through our Sites. For example, we may receive information from a social media site if you connect to us or our Sites through that site. As another example, we may also receive contact information from the Biden for President Campaign.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use your Personal Information for various purposes, including to:
- Deliver features and functionality, including facilitating donations and transactions;
- Respond to your emails, submissions, comments, questions and requests and otherwise contact you about your use of the Sites;
- Send you newsletters and information that we think will be of interest to you, including nomination and personnel announcements, and other transition news (please see “Your Choices” below for information about how to opt out of certain communications at any time);
- Contact you if we need additional information, including if you leave fields blank on a form or if other information is necessary under the Presidential Transition Act;
- For resume information submitted, your information will be used for employment consideration.
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Sites;
- Detect, prevent, and respond to security issues and other harmful or unlawful activities and protect the rights and property of Biden-Harris Transition, users of our Sites, and others, including by enforcing our Terms & Conditions;
- Provide, maintain and improve our Sites and send you confirmations, receipts, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was provided or collected.
Our Information Sharing
- With the future Biden Executive Office of the President and other government agencies for the management and administration of the presidential transition and the Sites, such as where we report donations and related information to the General Services Administration;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers or volunteers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- In response to subpoenas, court orders, legal process, law enforcement requests, legal claims or other government inquiries and where necessary detect and prevent fraud or harmful activities or to protect the safety and security of the Sites, the Biden-Harris Transition, and its employees, users, and other individuals.
- With your consent or at your direction, including if: (1) we notify you through our Sites that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information; (2) you submit content or information on a public area of the site or information that is intended to be shared on the Sites; or (3) you intentionally interact with third-parties on our Sites.
- We may also share aggregated or de-identified information that does not directly identify you. For example, we may post or share compilations of comments and other information with policymakers, the media, or others, although we take steps to protect your confidentiality if you have not publicly posted or shared your comments.
Links to Third-Party Sites
The Sites may make third-party information and other content available on or through the Sites (“Third-Party Content”). Our Sites also may link or otherwise provide access to third-party websites and other products and services (collectively, “Third-Party Products and Services”). These Third-Party Products and Services may include, for example, donation and payment functionality. These Third-Party Products and Services and Third-Party Content are not under the control of Biden-Harris Transition, and we are not responsible for the security or privacy of any Personal Information you share with them. If you use Third-Party Products and Services your information will be subject to their own privacy policies and terms.
Social Sharing Features
The Sites may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Sites with other media, and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Cookies and Online Tracking
Cookies are small data files used to store information on your device, including to help us to improve our Sites and your experience, see which areas and features of our Sites are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using other tracking technologies such as web beacons (also known as “tracking pixels” or “clear GIFs”). Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Sites or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and determine whether an email has been opened and acted upon.
This information may be combined with information collected across different websites, online services, and linked or associated devices to, among other things, analyze and track data, determine the popularity of certain content, deliver advertising and content targeted to your interests and better understand your online activity. [For example, this information may be used to allow us to advertise on other websites you visit and other applications you use.] To learn more, please visit http://optout.aboutads.info.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. If you choose to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or browser. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Site.
Some web browsers may transmit “do-not-track” signals to the websites and other online services with which the browser communicates. There is no standard that governs what, if anything, websites and online services should do when they receive these signals. We currently do not take action in response to these signals. If and when a standard for responding is established, we may revisit our policy on responding to these signals.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages by following the instructions in those emails or by responding “STOP” or “OPT OUT” in response to text messages. If you opt out, we may still send you other types of emails and communications, such as those about your use of the Sites or any donations or transactions. Please note that opt-out requests may not take effect immediately and may take a reasonable amount of time to receive, process, and apply, during which time your information shall remain subject to your prior privacy settings. Further, please note that (unless required by applicable law) we may not be able to retrieve or rescind any information provided to third parties prior to your election to opt out.
We take reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your personal information. However, no data transmission or storage can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure.
Biden-Harris Transition does not knowingly contact or collect personal information via the Sites from children under the age of 13 without appropriate parental notice and consent. Further, the Sites are not directed to, or intended to solicit information of any kind from, children under the age of 13. If we are informed and confirm that we have unintentionally received personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information.
Location of Usage of the Sites