USTR-designate Katherine Tai met with members from the Ag CEO Council Wednesday for a conversation about agriculture and trade policy, the incoming administration’s top trade priorities, and opportunities to work together to pursue a smart, sustainable trade agenda that supports farmers and the agriculture industry.
USTR-designate Tai offered her views on the essential role of trade in the president-elect’s Build Back Better agenda, and the opportunities to leverage our trade tools to create more inclusive prosperity, and lift up all segments of the American economy.
They discussed a shared commitment to pursuing a pro-farmer and pro-worker agenda that supports farmers and the agriculture industry, job growth, and the rural economy, with strong and effective enforcement mechanisms to level the playing field for American workers and American industry. Noting the essential role of agriculture to the economy and the recovery, USTR-designate Tai reiterated her commitment to ensuring that farmers and agriculture have a seat at the table as we rebuild, and that they remain a focal point of U.S. trade policy.
The leaders from major farm, commodity and agribusiness organizations thanked USTR-desinfate Tai for her work at USTR and House Ways and Means Committee, specifically the leadership she’s provided on enforcement and holding U.S. trade partners accountable to their commitments.
Participants from the Ag CEO Council included:
- Chandler Goule, CEO, National Association of Wheat Growers (Ag CEO Council Co-Chair)
- Darren Coppock, President & CEO, Ag Retailers Association
- Vincent “Zippy” Duvall, President, American Farm Bureau (Ag CEO Council Co-Chair)
- Andrew “Andy” Lavigne, President & CEO, American Seed Trade Association
- Rob Larew, President, National Farmers Union
- Steve Censky, CEO, American Soybean Growers Association
- Luther Markwart, Executive Vice President, American Sugarbeet Growers Association
- Chris Novak, President & CEO, CropLife America (Ag CEO Council Chair)
- Todd Van Hoose, President & CEO, Farm Credit Council
- Corey Rosenbusch, President & CEO, The Fertilizer Institute
- Colin Woodall, CEO, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association
- Jon Doggett, CEO, National Corn Growers Association
- Gary Adams, President & CEO, National Cotton Council of America
- Chuck Conner, President & CEO, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives
- Jim Mulhern, President and CEO, National Milk Producers Federation
- Tim Lust, CEO, National Sorghum Producers
- Tom Stenzel, President & CEO, United Fresh Produce Association
- Betsy Ward, President & CEO, USA Rice Federation
- Barb Glenn, CEO, ex-officio Agriculture, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
- Nick Giordano, Vice President & Counsel, National Pork Producers Council
- Matt O’Mara, Vice President for International Affairs & Trade Policy, BIO
- Erick Lutt, Senior Director, BIO